One Hit Wonders and their (better) follow up single
lazarus
2003-08-09 21:20:15 UTC
I have a theory I've been working on, wanted to see what you folks
thought. It seems to me that most "one hit wonders" had a follow-up
song that was actually, IMO, much better than the first.

A few examples:

A-Ha. Known for "Take On Me", also released "The Sun Always Shines On
TV" which I love.

Pet Shop Boys. I know, it's hard to call them a one hit wonder, but
let's face it, you mention Pet Shop Boys, and 99% of the populace in
the US is going to remember "West End Girls". Pick any of the
thousand songs they released afterwards.

Flock of Seagulls: "I Ran" has become almost iconic as the theme for
the 80's, but "Space Age Love Song" is quite possibly much better.

The classic to me is Men Without Hats. "Safety Dance" is so annoying,
and yet they followed it up with the wonderful "Pop Goes the World," a
very nice pop song.

Anybody else notice this, and have other artists in mind?
--
lazarus

"Folly it may seem," said Haldir. "Indeed, in nothing is the power
of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that
divides all those who still oppose him." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
SoCalMike
2003-08-09 21:45:37 UTC
Post by lazarus
I have a theory I've been working on, wanted to see what you folks
thought. It seems to me that most "one hit wonders" had a follow-up
song that was actually, IMO, much better than the first.
A-Ha. Known for "Take On Me", also released "The Sun Always Shines On
TV" which I love.
Pet Shop Boys. I know, it's hard to call them a one hit wonder, but
let's face it, you mention Pet Shop Boys, and 99% of the populace in
the US is going to remember "West End Girls". Pick any of the
thousand songs they released afterwards.
i cant even listen to that song any more. ugh. "home and dry" was the last
one i had on "repeat" :)
Post by lazarus
Flock of Seagulls: "I Ran" has become almost iconic as the theme for
the 80's, but "Space Age Love Song" is quite possibly much better.
ill have to download some flock.
Geir Hongro
2003-08-09 23:53:37 UTC
Post by lazarus
I have a theory I've been working on, wanted to see what you folks
thought. It seems to me that most "one hit wonders" had a follow-up
song that was actually, IMO, much better than the first.
A-Ha. Known for "Take On Me", also released "The Sun Always Shines On
TV" which I love.
Then again, the only country A-Ha was a one-hit wonder in was the US. They
had several hits over the rest of the world. (And even in the US, "The Sun
Always Shines On TV" - their only UK chart topper - was a Top 30 hit)
Post by lazarus
Pet Shop Boys. I know, it's hard to call them a one hit wonder, but
let's face it, you mention Pet Shop Boys, and 99% of the populace in
the US is going to remember "West End Girls".
Most audiences outside the US are just as likely to remember "It's a Sin" or
their version of "Always On My Mind", or maybe even their 1993 version of
"Go West". Definitely not a one-hit wonder.
Post by lazarus
Flock of Seagulls: "I Ran" has become almost iconic as the theme for
the 80's, but "Space Age Love Song" is quite possibly much better.
Considering "Wishing (If I Had a Photograph Of You)" was a UK Top 10 hit, A
Flock Of Seagulls was not at all one hit wonders.
Post by lazarus
The classic to me is Men Without Hats. "Safety Dance" is so annoying,
and yet they followed it up with the wonderful "Pop Goes the World," a
very nice pop song.
There were several releases in-between, weren't there?

I believe the followup to "Safety Dance" was "Living In China". And btw.
they weren't one hit wonders in Canada, which is what counts in the case of
a Canadian act.
Post by lazarus
Anybody else notice this, and have other artists in mind?
First and foremost, I have noticed that US citizens tend to forget there is
a world outside the US.

Geir Hongro
Kelly
2003-08-10 00:16:48 UTC
Post by Geir Hongro
First and foremost, I have noticed that US citizens tend to forget there is
a world outside the US.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the name of this ng
alt.culture.us.1980s? Could it be possible that is why the bands listed
are one hit wonders in the US?
--
Kelly

Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car
could go straight upwards.
Fred Hoyle
Scott Hanson
2003-08-10 14:24:50 UTC
"Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the name of this ng
alt.culture.us.1980s? Could it be possible that is why the bands listed
are one hit wonders in the US?"

Perhaps, but it could also be interpreted as American impressions or
opinions of artists who fit the category of "one hit wonder, " or fluke
artist, whether that artist is of American origin or not. I think that's how
some people took it. (I might be wrong).

Also, we have to keep in mind that these lists are not really comprised of
American one hit wonders. They are comprised of "Billboard Top 40" One hit
wonders. I personally think the Billboard top 40 singles chart is ok, but it
definitely has its limitations as an assessment tool of the relative
enduring talent or merit of an artist in America.

For example, no true Frankie Goes to Hollywood fan living in New York gives
a rat's behind whether "Relax" was their only Billboard hit. They can name
you every b side, and import single they ever did, with pride and fondness.
But, forget all that; According to Billboard, "Relax" was their only claim
to fame, and then they allegedly faded into oblivion. So, I guess it's time
to pitch out all those imports, and t shirts, and posters. They don't count,
after all. "Two Tribes," "The Power of Love," "Rage Hard," - all figments
of the imagination.

If a "British 80s culture" newsgroup listed Janet Jackson as an artist
incapable of scoring a number one single, I would guess that Americans would
jump on it, listing all her #1's, as would a Canadian probably, and an
Australian, etc. But low and behold, in truth, according to British charts,
she has never had a #1 in that country to this day. People are reacting to
what they know and believe. That's all.

Homework assignment: Pick 2 artists off the "one hit wonder" list, and buy
some of their albums (If they have more than one). You never know; You may
change your opinion as to whether it was fair for them to remembered this
way. My recommendation: "Killer on the Rampage" by Eddy Grant.
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-10 22:29:16 UTC
Post by Scott Hanson
For example, no true Frankie Goes to Hollywood fan living in New York gives
a rat's behind whether "Relax" was their only Billboard hit. They can name
you every b side, and import single they ever did, with pride and fondness.
I may be in Oklahoma but I've always liked "One September Monday" and
"One February Friday" or whatever the names of the tracks are on the
B-Sides of my "Relax" and "Two Tribes" 45s. I also have the four 12"
singles from W2TP (or at least the 4 of which I'm aware, anyway).

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-11 16:55:18 UTC
Post by Scott Hanson
If a "British 80s culture" newsgroup listed Janet Jackson as an artist
incapable of scoring a number one single, I would guess that Americans would
jump on it, listing all her #1's, as would a Canadian probably, and an
Australian, etc. But low and behold, in truth, according to British charts,
she has never had a #1 in that country to this day. People are reacting to
what they know and believe. That's all.
<news:uk.culture.nostalgia.1980s> :-)
Andreas
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-11 22:59:50 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
<news:uk.culture.nostalgia.1980s> :-)
Hey! I'll bet Geir could move over there and find a whole world happy
to be oblivious to US!

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-10 15:19:04 UTC
Post by Kelly
Post by Geir Hongro
First and foremost, I have noticed that US citizens tend to forget there is
a world outside the US.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the name of this ng
alt.culture.us.1980s?
Yes.
Post by Kelly
Could it be possible that is why the bands listed
are one hit wonders in the US?
I doubt for the Pet Shop Boys. Hmm, but you could be right, cannot find
anything by them in the US charts. Can't believe it.
Andreas
Naz Reyes
2003-08-10 23:01:22 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Kelly
Could it be possible that is why the bands listed
are one hit wonders in the US?
I doubt for the Pet Shop Boys. Hmm, but you could be right, cannot find
anything by them in the US charts. Can't believe it.
Well, we could say the same thing about Led Zeppelin. I think they have
ONE hit single, no? ;-)

At any rate, PSB has had MANY hits in the U.S. but mostly on the
Dance/Disco chart. Here's the complete list of hits they've had in the
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Year Single Chart Highest Position
1986 West End Girls Adult Contemporary No. 26
1986 Love Comes Quickly The Billboard Hot 100 No. 62
1986 Opportunities (Let s Make Lots Of Money) The Billboard Hot 100 No. 10
1986 West End Girls The Billboard Hot 100 No. 1
1986 West End Girls Mainstream Rock Tracks No. 37
1986 West End Girls Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks No. 36
1986 Love Comes Quickly (Remix)/That s My Impression Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 10
1986 Opportunities (Let s Make Lots Of Money) (Remix) Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 3
1986 Suburbia (Remix) Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 46
1986 West End Girls (Remix) Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 1
1986 Love Comes Quickly (Remix)/That s My Impression Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 37
1986 Opportunities (Let s Make Lots Of Money) (Remix) Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 16
1986 West End Girls (Remix) Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 3
1987 It s A Sin The Billboard Hot 100 No. 9
1987 Suburbia The Billboard Hot 100 No. 70
1987 It s A Sin Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 3
1987 It s A Sin Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 18
1987 Suburbia (Remix) Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 37
1987 What Have I Done To Deserve This? Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 5
1987 What Have I Done To Deserve This? The Billboard Hot 100 No. 2
1988 Domino Dancing The Billboard Hot 100 No. 18
1988 What Have I Done To Deserve This? The Billboard Hot 100 No. 2
1988 Domino Dancing Modern Rock Tracks No. 22
1988 Domino Dancing Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 5
1988 What Have I Done To Deserve This? Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 1
1988 Always On My Mind Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 12
1988 Domino Dancing Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 20
1988 What Have I Done To Deserve This? Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 12
1988 What Have I Done To Deserve This? Adult Contemporary No. 14
1988 Always On My Mind Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 8
1988 Always On My Mind The Billboard Hot 100 No. 4
1989 Left To My Own Devices The Billboard Hot 100 No. 84
1989 Left To My Own Devices Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 8
1989 Left To My Own Devices Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 25
1990 So Hard The Billboard Hot 100 No. 62
1990 So Hard Modern Rock Tracks No. 17
1990 So Hard Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 4
1990 So Hard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 2
1991 How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? The Billboard Hot 100 No. 93
1991 Where The Streets Have No Name The Billboard Hot 100 No. 72
1991 How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 19
1991 Where The Streets Have No Name Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 4
1991 DJ Culture/Music For Boys Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 13
1991 Seriously/Being Boring Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 10
1991 Where The Streets Have No Name Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 3
1993 Can You Forgive Her? Modern Rock Tracks No. 10
1993 Can You Forgive Her? Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 1
1993 Can You Forgive Her? Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 31
1993 Go West Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 1
1993 Go West Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 25
1994 Absolutely Fabulous Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 7
1994 Go West Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 7
1994 I Wouldn t Normally Do This Kind Of Thing Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 2
1994 Go West Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 36
1994 I Wouldn t Normally Do This Kind Of Thing Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 36
1995 Paninaro '95 Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 4
1995 Yesterday When I Was Mad Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 4
1995 Paninaro '95 Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 6
1995 Yesterday When I Was Mad Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 27
1996 Before Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 1
1996 Before Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 7
1997 Somewhere Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 19
1997 To Step Aside Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 1
1999 I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More Canadian Singles Chart No. 14
1999 New York City Boy Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 1
2000 I Don t Know What You Want But I Can t Give It Any More Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 2
2000 I Don t Know What You Want But I Can t Give It Any More Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales No. 10
2002 Home And Dry (Blank & Jones Remixes) Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 44
2002 Home And Dry Canadian Singles Chart No. 17
2002 I Get Along Canadian Singles Chart No. 25
2003 Sexy Northerner Hot Dance Music/Club Play No. 15
-Naz
NJROB65
2003-08-11 04:40:25 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
anything by them in the US charts. Can't believe it.
<<Well, we could say the same thing about Led Zeppelin. I think they have
ONE hit single, no? ;-)>>

No, Led Zeppelin had 6 Top 40 hits in the US, this excludes "Stairway to
Heaven"which was never released as a single. Their Top 40 singles are listed
below, in chronological order.

"Whole Lotta Love" #4
"Immigrant Song" #16
"Black Dog" #15
"D'yer Maker" #20
"Trampled Under Foot" #38
"Fool in the Rain" #21
Naz Reyes
2003-08-11 21:47:31 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
anything by them in the US charts. Can't believe it.
<<Well, we could say the same thing about Led Zeppelin. I think they have
ONE hit single, no? ;-)>>
No, Led Zeppelin had 6 Top 40 hits in the US, this excludes "Stairway to
Heaven"which was never released as a single. Their Top 40 singles are listed
below, in chronological order.
"Whole Lotta Love" #4
"Immigrant Song" #16
"Black Dog" #15
"D'yer Maker" #20
"Trampled Under Foot" #38
"Fool in the Rain" #21
Well, I was being facetious when I said that, anyhow :) You see, Led
Zep had decided not to release a lot of their singles back then, and if
they did, they would've had much, much MORE singles that hit the top 10
than that list you've just listed :)

Where's "Kashmir", "Stairway To Heaven", "All of My Love", "Rock and
Roll", and a bunch of others? Nowhere, because they were never released
as singles, despite of their heavy airplay on rock radio.

-Naz
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-11 16:50:01 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Kelly
Could it be possible that is why the bands listed
are one hit wonders in the US?
I doubt for the Pet Shop Boys. Hmm, but you could be right, cannot find
anything by them in the US charts. Can't believe it.
Well, we could say the same thing about Led Zeppelin. I think they have
ONE hit single, no? ;-)
At any rate, PSB has had MANY hits in the U.S. but mostly on the
Dance/Disco chart. Here's the complete list of hits they've had in the
Wow, very interesting. Thanks. :-)
Andreas
MCT
2003-08-19 04:18:37 UTC
<<PSB as had MANY hits in the U.S., but mostly on the Dance/Disco
chart>>

Even if you just look at the pop charts, they had far too much history
to really be a one-hit wonder. IINM, they hit the Top 10 on the pop
charts five times.

And while there may be somewhat of a public perception that they were
one-hit wonders (with "West End Girls" being the one hit), I'm not even
sure how true that is -- I hear "What Have I Done To Deserve This" quite
a bit, and "Opportunities", "It's A Sin" and "Always On My Mind" from
time to time.

I notice that on the chart history that Naz posted, "West End Girls" hit
the Top 40 on the *Adult Contemporary* chart. How'd that happen?
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-10 22:09:35 UTC
Post by Kelly
Post by Geir Hongro
First and foremost, I have noticed that US citizens tend to forget there is
a world outside the US.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the name of this ng
alt.culture.us.1980s? Could it be possible that is why the bands listed
are one hit wonders in the US?
When Geir saw first saw the newsgroup, he thought "us" referred to "us"
as in "all of us" and not just to us in the U.S..

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
MCT
2003-08-19 04:12:25 UTC
<<First and foremost, I have noticed that US citizens tend to forget
there is a world outside the US.>>

<<Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the name of this ng
alt.culture.us.1980s? Could it be possible that is why the bands listed
are one hit wonders in the US?>>

I don't have a problem with people posting chart information from other
countries -- in fact, I find it interesting to see what was going on
elsewhere. But I agree that, this being a US group, it was impled that
the original poster was talking about the US, and the orignal poster
isn't "wrong" because some of these artists had multiple hits in other
countries.

Then again, you're pretty much asking for trouble if you label any
artist a "one-hit wonder" around here. :)
Geir Hongro
2003-08-19 22:02:05 UTC
Post by MCT
Then again, you're pretty much asking for trouble if you label any
artist a "one-hit wonder" around here. :)
USA For Africa and Artists United Against Apartheid were both clearly
one-hit wonders (although they consisted of "several-hit-wonders") :-)

Geir Hongro

Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-10 00:27:08 UTC
Post by Geir Hongro
Post by lazarus
Pet Shop Boys. I know, it's hard to call them a one hit wonder, but
let's face it, you mention Pet Shop Boys, and 99% of the populace in
the US is going to remember "West End Girls".
Most audiences outside the US are just as likely to remember "It's a
Sin" or their version of "Always On My Mind", or maybe even their
1993 version of "Go West". Definitely not a one-hit wonder.
I'm more likely to think of "Opportunities" and "Suburbia" before I
think of any of that shit they put out in and after '87.

"Was That What It Was?" is the greatest PSB track I've ever heard -
except they didn't get the timing of notes in the keyboard attack riff
in the middle of the song exactly right.
Post by Geir Hongro
First and foremost, I have noticed that US citizens tend to forget there is
a world outside the US.
Which states are most notable for that?

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Geir Hongro
2003-08-10 21:29:32 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Which states are most notable for that?
I believe the Billboard Top 40 is quite "federal" isn't it? :-)

Geir Hongro
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-10 22:48:17 UTC
Post by Geir Hongro
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Which states are most notable for that?
I believe the Billboard Top 40 is quite "federal" isn't it? :-)
Federal? As in national? (Since our government at the national level
is called federal, that's how I'm interpreting your question.)

Actually, my question was not in reference to the Billboard Top 40, though.

I'm asking you to cite which states are most notable for producing
Americans which aren't aware that there is anywhere else in the world.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-11 14:10:11 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
I'm asking you to cite which states are most notable for producing
Americans which aren't aware that there is anywhere else in the world.
Seems to me most of them.
OK, so which ones are the *least* notable then?

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Naz Reyes
2003-08-11 21:51:01 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
I'm asking you to cite which states are most notable for producing
Americans which aren't aware that there is anywhere else in the world.
Seems to me most of them.
OK, so which ones are the *least* notable then?
Myke
Oh oh, can I guess? How about Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas?

LOL ;-)

-Naz
Geir Hongro
2003-08-11 22:03:05 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
I'm asking you to cite which states are most notable for producing
Americans which aren't aware that there is anywhere else in the world.
Seems to me most of them.
OK, so which ones are the *least* notable then?
Probably the Eastern ones. Massachussetts or some other "intellectual"
place. :-)

Geir Hongro
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-11 23:51:42 UTC
Post by Geir Hongro
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
I'm asking you to cite which states are most notable for producing
Americans which aren't aware that there is anywhere else in the world.
Seems to me most of them.
OK, so which ones are the *least* notable then?
Probably the Eastern ones. Massachussetts or some other "intellectual"
place. :-)
As in Massachussetts Intellectual Technology? :-)

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Geir Hongro
2003-08-11 08:50:20 UTC
Oh man, you have missed the best PSB album in 1990. "Behaviour" is one
AWESOME album! "Only The Wind" and "To Face The Truth" are both worth
the price of admission, and probably two of their songs *ever* :)
Somewhat "deeper", but also better. Personally I liked "Very" even better
btw.
Ummm...not even sure if I remember that song...I'll have to check out my
PSB CDs...
B-side to "Opportunities". Featured on the "Alternative" CD if you have that
one.

Geir Hongro
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-11 14:11:45 UTC
Post by Geir Hongro
B-side to "Opportunities". Featured on the "Alternative" CD if you have that
one.
I like your use of the word "featured" here as opposed to just
"included". :)

"Was That What It Was?" is *the reason* I bought "Alternative" as soon
as it was released.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Geir Hongro
2003-08-11 18:51:13 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
"Was That What It Was?" is *the reason* I bought "Alternative" as soon
as it was released.
My fave PSB b-side remains "Miserablism"

Geir Hongro
Naz Reyes
2003-08-11 21:11:30 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
I'm more likely to think of "Opportunities" and "Suburbia" before I
think of any of that shit they put out in and after '87.
Oh man, you have missed the best PSB album in 1990. "Behaviour" is
one AWESOME album! "Only The Wind" and "To Face The Truth" are both
worth the price of admission, and probably two of their songs *ever* :)
Actually, (no pun intended) I was referring to just the singles. I
didn't really care for most of their Top 40 hits after '87. "Suburbia"
kicks ass and instantly reminds me of when I used to get out and drive
to work on freezing cold mornings just as the sun was comin' up back in
the winter of '86/'87 even though I never heard the song at that time
because it never reached the Top 40. That's about the only song I know
with which I actually have memories associated when I know I never heard
The Complete Singles" compilation. It's *that* dead-on with the sound
of its time as I knew/remember it! :)
PSB has always *tried* to use the newest sounds in their albums, I
think. I guess, this explains why their sounds/styles are usually "dead
on" with the times. I'll even go as far as to say that the "Behavior"
album has that 70s retro sound because 1990 (the year Behavior was
released) was the year that "70's retro/electronica hybrid"
materialized, I think.

Btw, "Suburbia" was an underground hit from the very beginning. Played
a lot in clubs, too. That song was one of our best-kept secrets back
then :) I also believe that it was re-released with a new official mix
(for radio) a few years later.
The only other PSB album I've ever owned and, therefore, have ever heard
is "Alternative", their 2CD collection of B-Sides - which is also
excellent and serves as a perfect companion to "Discography", I think.
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
"Was That What It Was?" is the greatest PSB track I've ever heard -
except they didn't get the timing of notes in the keyboard attack
riff in the middle of the song exactly right.
Ummm...not even sure if I remember that song...I'll have to check out
my PSB CDs...
Hehe... Before 1995, it was only available as the B-side of the 2nd
version of the "Opportunities" 45rpm single (the one that finally
charted in the US in late 1986).
(see my reply to Geir) :-)
That one song alone is the very reason why I bought "Alternative" when
it was new. It had *finally* become available on CD and I wanted it
badly enough to spring for a 2CD set full of other songs I'd never heard
before! :)
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Geir Hongro
First and foremost, I have noticed that US citizens tend to forget
there is a world outside the US.
Oh - there IS a world outside of the U.S.? ;-) Gotta take notes of
this one :)
Whoops! I'm out of ink and my pencil lead broke and my keyboard just
went dea
Excuses, excuses!!! ;-)

-Naz
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-11 23:09:09 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Btw, "Suburbia" was an underground hit from the very beginning. Played
a lot in clubs, too. That song was one of our best-kept secrets back
then :) I also believe that it was re-released with a new official mix
(for radio) a few years later.
Don't hold me to it but I *think* it's a UK #1.

And I *know* that Gary Numan's "Are Friends Electric?" is a UK #1.

We were too busy digging Bee Gees and The Village People in 1979 to get
into something *that* new and kewl.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Naz Reyes
2003-08-13 20:24:52 UTC
Don't know much about Gary Numan at all, but since you've been
mentioning him
a lot here, I think I'll just go ahead and pick up some CDs by him.
Where
should I start?
"Replicas" (1979) and "Telekon" (1980). Without question.
"The Pleasure Principle" came out in late '79 between these two but I've
never been as big a fan of that one as the other two listed above - even
though that's the one that "Cars" is on.
Hmm...allmusic.com gave "The Pleasure Principle" a 4.5 stars out of 5,
and "Replicas" got 4 stars. Now, why do you think they would do that?
What don't you like about TPP?
*We"? Heh...I was listening to Bee Gees and The Village People, too, in
1979, but the B52's, Kraftwerk, Devo, Pink Floyd, and Roxy Music
sounded very
exciting, too. Actually, to me, The Cars (lol..."Cars"...get it?) is
the
most important band that got me to expand my musical horizons to more
daring
directions in New Wave.
I was just getting started in 1979 and primarily listening to KISS. I
wouldn't really discover Kraftwerk until 1985 when I finally heard
"Numbers". Pink Floyd kicked my butt in 1980 with "The Wall". I had a
major collection of every PF album I could find by 1983.
Myke
Heh - 1979 for Kiss is *late* ;-) And when "I Was Made For Lovin' You"
was released in '79, all hell broke loose among Kiss fans. They went
kaput after that :)

Hmmm...I thought everyone knew Trans Europe Express in '77...it was the
most original thing on radio when that came out. I remember my jaw
dropping the first time I heard that song :)

And as for Pink Floyd's "The Wall", well, we both think it's the number
one recording of all-time, right? But, I'll have to admit that "The Dark
Side of the Moon" was waaay ahead of its time when it was released in
the early 70s.

-Naz
Killer Rabbit
2003-08-14 19:32:37 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Heh - 1979 for Kiss is *late* ;-) And when "I Was Made For Lovin' You"
was released in '79, all hell broke loose among Kiss fans.
It took the publicity stunt of "unmasking" to get them noticed and played
again (for awhile). "Heaven's On Fire" is one of the hits from that
period.
The big one was Lick It Up off there first non-make up release of the same
name. Heaven's On Fire was about 2 years later on Animalize. Anyone
remember the big day when they "unmasked" on MTV? LOL! Many of us diehards
waited a long time to see them. My first reaction? I said "Now I know why
they wore the make up!!" ;-)

Lori =^.^=
--
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was every
other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find a half an hour a week in which to get
--Homer J. Simpson--
Killer Rabbit
2003-08-15 00:22:34 UTC
Post by Killer Rabbit
waited a long time to see them. My first reaction? I said "Now I know
why
Post by Killer Rabbit
they wore the make up!!" ;-)
My cousin from Houston had the biggest thing for KISS and particulary Paul
Stanley.
Then remember the publicity again when they decided to "remask"?
Yeah, after all those years of Gene saying that it would never happen. It
was cool to see it back in '96, but now I wish they would just call it a
day...move on...retire....whatever. Just not a crappy opening nostalgia act
with Tommy Thayer "playing" Ace.

Lori=^.^=
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 02:18:39 UTC
Post by Killer Rabbit
My cousin from Houston had the biggest thing for KISS and particulary Paul
Stanley.
But Paul is so *ordinary* when it comes to rock'n'roll...
Post by Killer Rabbit
Then remember the publicity again when they decided to "remask"?
Yes! Saw 'em 2x in '96 at OKC and Dallas. Got tapes of both shows!

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Killer Rabbit
2003-08-15 02:59:58 UTC
Post by Killer Rabbit
Then remember the publicity again when they decided to "remask"?
Yes! Saw 'em 2x in '96 at OKC and Dallas. Got tapes of both shows!
Myke
Saw them at the Orlando Arena...found the bootleg video a year later.
:-)

Lori =^.^=
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 05:36:51 UTC
Post by Killer Rabbit
Saw them at the Orlando Arena...found the bootleg video a year later.
:-)
Kewl! To my knowledge I'm the only guy with tapes of two shows I saw in
'96 - but I find it extremely difficult to believe that *nobody* else in
those audiences was doing the same thing I was at the time. Still,
nothing was available from them the last time I checked.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Naz Reyes
2003-08-15 21:14:17 UTC
Post by Killer Rabbit
Post by Killer Rabbit
Then remember the publicity again when they decided to "remask"?
Yes! Saw 'em 2x in '96 at OKC and Dallas. Got tapes of both shows!
Myke
Saw them at the Orlando Arena...found the bootleg video a year later.
:-)
Lori =^.^=
I saw them in either '77 or '78 (very hard to remember what the date is now
since I'm getting senile...LOL). I was only around 12 at the time, though.

A friend of my dad thought it would be cool to take me and my big bro to the
concert, and he didn't tell my dad about it. All hell broke loose between my
dad and his friend (my dad was a fundie back then...lol), but I thought my
dad's friend was sooo cool to take us to the show ;-)

Totally changed my life!

To this day, I still think that "Rock and Roll Over" is one of the best
albums ever created! Oh - and "I Want You" is one of my favorite Kiss songs
ever.

-Naz
Killer Rabbit
2003-08-18 05:42:32 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
To this day, I still think that "Rock and Roll Over" is one of the best
albums ever created! Oh - and "I Want You" is one of my favorite Kiss songs
ever.
"I Want You" is an excellent song! And I agree, Rock and Roll Over is
great.

Lori =^.^=
Naz Reyes
2003-08-14 20:42:04 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Heh - 1979 for Kiss is *late* ;-) And when "I Was Made For Lovin' You"
was released in '79, all hell broke loose among Kiss fans.
Like "Jump" by Van Halen in 1984.
Yea...I guess there is a similarity there, except "I Was Made For Lovin' You"
was not as a big a hit as "Jump". Both made the dance charts, though.
Post by Naz Reyes
They went kaput after that :)
^^^^^
Almost a German word. At least my translator fails to translate this to
German.
--
Andreas
You probably can't translate it because it's originally a German word...LOL!

However, it's a word a lot of Americans know and use.

-Naz
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 02:20:37 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Post by Naz Reyes
They went kaput after that :)
^^^^^
Almost a German word. At least my translator fails to translate this to
German.
You probably can't translate it because it's originally a German word...LOL!
Well, at least that's what Miriam-Webster says :)
However, it's a word a lot of Americans know and use.
"The Statue of Liberty is kaput. That's disconcerting."

-- Cap'n Miller, June 1944

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Naz Reyes
2003-08-15 21:16:31 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Naz Reyes
Post by Naz Reyes
They went kaput after that :)
^^^^^
Almost a German word. At least my translator fails to translate this to
German.
You probably can't translate it because it's originally a German word...LOL!
Well, at least that's what Miriam-Webster says :)
However, it's a word a lot of Americans know and use.
"The Statue of Liberty is kaput. That's disconcerting."
-- Cap'n Miller, June 1944
Myke
I think it has more meaning now than in 1944, though :)

-Naz
Naz Reyes
2003-08-15 21:30:29 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Post by Naz Reyes
Heh - 1979 for Kiss is *late* ;-) And when "I Was Made For Lovin' You"
was released in '79, all hell broke loose among Kiss fans.
Like "Jump" by Van Halen in 1984.
Yea...I guess there is a similarity there, except "I Was Made For Lovin' You"
was not as a big a hit as "Jump". Both made the dance charts, though.
And both went out of business after that. Not much new songs after that of
commercial success.
Post by Naz Reyes
Post by Naz Reyes
They went kaput after that :)
^^^^^
Almost a German word. At least my translator fails to translate this to
German.
You probably can't translate it because it's originally a German word...LOL!
Well, at least that's what Miriam-Webster says :)
It's "kaputt", with two "t".
Deutsch -> English
1 ) kaputt :== broken
2 ) kaputt, Pleite gehen :== to bust
3 ) kaputt, geknickt, gebrochen :== broken
4 ) kaputt, völlig durcheinander, übergeschnappt :== haywire
Wow - thanks for the German lessons :) The meaning in American English is a little
different, though. It's means, either "useless" or "hopelessly outmoded", or
"utterly finished". Take your pick ;-)
Post by Naz Reyes
However, it's a word a lot of Americans know and use.
Like "kindergarten". You would say "children's garden". "Kinder" is
"children" (kids), and "Garten" is "garden".
--
Andreas
There ya go - there's a lot of European culture in the U.S. But, of course, you

It's even funny that there is a Tagalog word (Philippines, the country of my
origin) in American-English. It's the word "boondocks". It means "a very rural
area" or "out in the sticks". The original word is "bundok" in Tagalog, meaning
"mountain". The American military men used the word in the U.S. back in the 40's
(after hearing it from Filipinos, no doubt) during World War II when they were in
the Philippines.

It's been used in the U.S. ever since, and it's part of American-English.

-Naz
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-16 15:35:10 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
It's "kaputt", with two "t".
Deutsch -> English
1 ) kaputt :== broken
2 ) kaputt, Pleite gehen :== to bust
3 ) kaputt, geknickt, gebrochen :== broken
4 ) kaputt, völlig durcheinander, übergeschnappt :== haywire
Wow - thanks for the German lessons :) The meaning in American English is a little
different, though. It's means, either "useless" or "hopelessly outmoded", or
"utterly finished". Take your pick ;-)
I'll keep this in mind in case I ever visit US. So I can have
conversation with the natives. ;-)
Post by Naz Reyes
Like "kindergarten". You would say "children's garden". "Kinder" is
"children" (kids), and "Garten" is "garden".
There ya go - there's a lot of European culture in the U.S. But, of course, you
already know that, right?
Yes. Americans are European, at least the first who settled down there.
Later more and more culture from other peoples was adopted as they came
to America.

Wait! Umm, aren't you the Borg then? ;-)
Andreas
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-17 01:10:56 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Yes. Americans are European, at least the first who settled down there.
Except for the one's who were already settled here before them.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Naz Reyes
2003-08-14 20:54:00 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Heh - 1979 for Kiss is *late* ;-) And when "I Was Made For Lovin' You"
was released in '79, all hell broke loose among Kiss fans.
It took the publicity stunt of "unmasking" to get them noticed and played
again (for awhile). "Heaven's On Fire" is one of the hits from that period.
I can't even remember any of 'em :)

-Naz
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 02:23:35 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
It took the publicity stunt of "unmasking" to get them noticed and played
again (for awhile). "Heaven's On Fire" is one of the hits from that period.
I can't even remember any of 'em :)
That's 'cuz there aren't that many to remember.

I think from 1983-1987 all you *need* to remember are:

Lick It Up
All Hell's Breaking Loose
Heaven's On Fire
Tears Are Falling
Crazy Crazy Nights

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Killer Rabbit
2003-08-15 02:57:53 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Naz Reyes
It took the publicity stunt of "unmasking" to get them noticed and played
again (for awhile). "Heaven's On Fire" is one of the hits from that period.
I can't even remember any of 'em :)
That's 'cuz there aren't that many to remember.
Lick It Up
All Hell's Breaking Loose
Heaven's On Fire
Tears Are Falling
Crazy Crazy Nights
Myke
To add to that from 87-95 (before the make up came back on):

Reason to Live
Turn On The Night (UK hit)
Let's Put The X in Sex
Hide Your Heart (although I like Ace's version of this song better)
Forever (reached number 8 in the U.S)
Rise To It
God Gave Rock and Roll To You II (Didn't chart in U.S. but did well in many
other countries)

Others that got airplay but didn't make it in the top 100 was Unholy, Every
Time I Look At You, and Domino (all from Revenge album....a kick ass album,
btw!)

Lori =^.^=
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 05:34:27 UTC
Post by Killer Rabbit
Reason to Live
Turn On The Night (UK hit)
Let's Put The X in Sex
Hide Your Heart (although I like Ace's version of this song better)
Forever (reached number 8 in the U.S)
Rise To It
God Gave Rock and Roll To You II (Didn't chart in U.S. but did well in many
other countries)
Yep, things started getting better with "Hot In The Shade" although they
still had some wrinkles to iron out before they'd finally get it right
again after Peter 'n' Ace.
Post by Killer Rabbit
Others that got airplay but didn't make it in the top 100 was Unholy, Every
Time I Look At You, and Domino (all from Revenge album....a kick ass album,
btw!)
That is no shit! I remember in the 90s having to work with a guy who
was always putting KISS down for being fake and stupid and for kids,
etc.. I walked into his cubicle one day and told him to listen to the CD
in my Discman without first looking to see who it was. He played it.
He liked it. He then went out and *bought* it too! What was it?
Revenge! :-) I was vindicated.

Revenge and Alive III both are excellent KISS albums. No offense to
Eric Carr (R.I.P.) but as soon as Eric Singer took his place in the
band, they started to rocking again like they hadn't rocked since
"Creatures Of The Night".

"Unplugged" was excellent as well (for what it is).

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Killer Rabbit
2003-08-18 05:42:33 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Revenge and Alive III both are excellent KISS albums. No offense to
Eric Carr (R.I.P.) but as soon as Eric Singer took his place in the
band, they started to rocking again like they hadn't rocked since
"Creatures Of The Night".
"Unplugged" was excellent as well (for what it is).
I liked Unplugged as well. I just didn't like Psycho Circus. To me it was
as bad as Unmasked....and that is *really* bad!

Lori =^.^=
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-14 23:30:39 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Heh - 1979 for Kiss is *late* ;-) And when "I Was Made For Lovin' You"
was released in '79, all hell broke loose among Kiss fans.
Like "Jump" by Van Halen in 1984.
I remember coming home from school one day on the bus where a guy was
playing Van Halen's 1st album on cassette with a small boombox-type
player in late '78 or early '79. Somebody complained and told him to
switch over to one of the local radio stations. He took a poll with the
other kids and Van Halen won. I voted for Van Halen because it sounded
cool - even though I distinctly remember not even knowing if I was
saying the name right because I'd never heard it before. :)

(Van Halen won.)
Post by Naz Reyes
They went kaput after that :)
^^^^^
Almost a German word. At least my translator fails to translate this to
German.
"Fubar" is German too, innit?

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 02:34:08 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
"Fubar" is German too, innit?
"fucked up beyond all recognition"
Hehe... My comment was actually an inside joke between me and everyone
else who's ever seen "Saving Private Ryan". :)

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-15 18:37:26 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Naz Reyes
They went kaput after that :)
^^^^^
Almost a German word. At least my translator fails to translate this to
German.
"Fubar" is German too, innit?
<ARNOLD>Negative</ARNOLD>
Andreas
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 21:26:33 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
"Fubar" is German too, innit?
<ARNOLD>Negative</ARNOLD>
See "Saving Private Ryan". :)

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-16 15:30:34 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
"Fubar" is German too, innit?
<ARNOLD>Negative</ARNOLD>
See "Saving Private Ryan". :)
Didn't see it. :-(
Andreas
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-17 01:09:32 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
See "Saving Private Ryan". :)
Didn't see it. :-(
Well, you should - but not on anything less than a good DVD / surround
sound system. Everyone I've ever known who saw it in a theater or with
a loud theater setup in their home was really moved by it - but everyone
else I know who just watched it with just a regular TV and a VCR or
whatever was not impressed.

The impact is in the sound. Without that, it's just another movie.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 17:31:31 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Don't know much about Gary Numan at all, but since you've been
mentioning him a lot here, I think I'll just go ahead and pick
up some CDs by him. Where should I start?
"Replicas" (1979) and "Telekon" (1980). Without question.
"The Pleasure Principle" came out in late '79 between these two but
I've never been as big a fan of that one as the other two listed above
- even though that's the one that "Cars" is on.
Hmm...allmusic.com gave "The Pleasure Principle" a 4.5 stars out of 5,
and "Replicas" got 4 stars. Now, why do you think they would do that?
What don't you like about TPP?
"The Pleasure Principle" is too "metallic" for my taste. Yeah, it's a
pioneering synthrock effort in that synthesizers are the primary
instruments in the arrangements of the songs but the *sounds* he chose
to extract from his keyboards on that one just don't turn me on.
They're too sustained and "blaring" to impress me or really hold my
interest for very long.

"Replicas" has a much better balance between guitars and synths, IMO,
and the songs are stronger; "Down In The Park" especially - as well as
"You Are In My Vision" and "Are 'Friends' Electric?".

"Telekon" is just flat out kewl. Although the US LP which I bought in
1983 has a slightly different tracklisting (on side 1) than the UK
version which is what's available on the CD. I have since "recreated"
the US version as an LP3 for my personal listening pleasure.
Post by Naz Reyes
I was just getting started in 1979 and primarily listening to KISS.
Heh - 1979 for Kiss is *late* ;-)
Not when you're 12 and nobody else in your family or immediate circle of
friends listened to them when you were younger.
Post by Naz Reyes
Hmmm...I thought everyone knew Trans Europe Express in '77...it was the
most original thing on radio when that came out. I remember my jaw
dropping the first time I heard that song :)
"Trans Europe Express" is not a US Top 40 hit and I never heard it until
about 4 years ago when I finally bought the CD. Even after having heard
so many comments like yours about it, though, I don't hear what it is
that's so great about it. It seems to go on and on forever and has even
less variation than "Autobahn". Even as a Kraftwerk fan, I don't really
care if I never hear it again. What am I missing about it?
Post by Naz Reyes
And as for Pink Floyd's "The Wall", well, we both think it's the number
one recording of all-time, right?
It is rock's finest hour-and-a-third, yes.
Post by Naz Reyes
But, I'll have to admit that "The Dark Side of the Moon" was waaay
ahead of its time when it was released in the early 70s.
Yes but even though I've been listening to it since I was 14 in June
1980, it's never been as impressive to me as "The Wall" still is. I
think there's probably a lot about the state of recording technology in
1973 that I don't know which could probably heighten my appreciation for
it if I only knew. Like, for instance, I've known about plate reverbs
for years but never knew that it was next to impossible to ever set them
to echo in time with a song. Apparently, the echo of the vocals which
keeps in time with the song, "us, us, us, us, us, us and them, them,
them, them, them, them, them", is significant given what was available
for them to use at the time.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Naz Reyes
2003-08-10 23:12:04 UTC
Post by Geir Hongro
Post by lazarus
Flock of Seagulls: "I Ran" has become almost iconic as the theme for
the 80's, but "Space Age Love Song" is quite possibly much better.
Considering "Wishing (If I Had a Photograph Of You)" was a UK Top 10 hit, A
Flock Of Seagulls was not at all one hit wonders.
Here are Flock of Seagulls hits in the U.S.

Year Album Chart Highest Position
1982 A Flock Of Seagulls Pop Albums No. 10
1983 Listen Pop Albums No. 16
1984 The Story Of A Young Heart The Billboard 200 No. 67

Year Single Chart Highest Position
1981 Telecommunication/Modern Love Is Automatic Club Play Singles
No. 19
1982 I Ran Club Play Singles No. 8
1982 I Ran (So Far Away) Mainstream Rock No. 3
1982 Space Age Love Song Mainstream Rock No. 59
1982 I Ran (So Far Away) Pop Singles No. 9
1983 Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) Club Play Singles
No. 62
1983 Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) Mainstream Rock
No. 3
1983 Space Age Love Song Pop Singles No. 30
1983 Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) Pop Singles
No. 26
1984 The More You Live, The More You Love The Billboard Hot 100
No. 56
1984 The More You Live,The More You Love Mainstream Rock Tracks
No. 23

-Naz
Lostinda80's
2003-08-10 13:49:58 UTC
Loved the Pop Goes The World CD! Just looking at VH1's One Hit Wonder
list and it drives me nuts!

Stacey Q - Two Of Hearts, I know it is basically the same song but she
also had We Connect.

Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy.. I loved Do You Wanna Hold Me about a million
times better.

T'Pau - Heart And Soul - Don't forget their follow up China In My Hands
(probably not a better song)

Quiet Riot - Come On Feel The Noise - I think I prefer Mental Health
(Bang Your Head).

Ratt - Round And Round - Nothing else was a hit for them? How about Lay
It Down, Way Cool Jr., Back For More ... I recall hearing them on the
radio a good bit.

Franke Goes To Hollywood - Maybe off topic because Relax is my personal
favorite but lets not forget Two Tribes which got notable airplay.

Thomas Dolby - She Blinded me With Science (I can die when I hear this
song! I hate it) - I loved Europa & The Pirate Twins and I remember
hearing on the radio an awesome version of Radio Silence (not the crappy
version that he put on the cd). i've never been able to figure out why
the original album version disappeared.

Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It - Perhaps it was MTV's influence
but I remember I Wanna Rock just as well.

Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy - Ya this is very well known but I liked
Don't Talk Just Kiss a million times better.

I could go on but i'm starting to bore myself.
Post by lazarus
The classic to me is Men Without Hats. "Safety Dance" is so annoying,
"Safety Dance" is top-notch!
Post by lazarus
and yet they followed it up with the wonderful "Pop Goes the World," a
very nice pop song.
"Pop Goes The World" is a much better album than it is a song.
I've owned that CD since the day after I saw MWH perform live in May
1988 in support of it. What a show! What an album!
Myke
NJROB65
2003-08-11 05:08:05 UTC
<< Loved the Pop Goes The World CD! Just looking at VH1's One Hit Wonder
list and it drives me nuts!

<<Stacey Q - Two Of Hearts, I know it is basically the same song but she
also had We Connect.>>

"We Connect" reached #35 on the Billboard Hot 100. I'd consider it a hit.

<<Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy.. I loved Do You Wanna Hold Me about a million
times better.>>

Neither one of them even reached the Top 40. "I Want Candy" peaked at #62 and
"Do You Wanna Hold Me?" peaked at #77.

<<T'Pau - Heart And Soul - Don't forget their follow up China In My Hands
(probably not a better song)>>

Didn't even enter the Hot 100.

<<Quiet Riot - Come On Feel The Noise - I think I prefer Mental Health
(Bang Your Head).>>

"Bang Your Head(Metal Health)" was a Top 40 hit, reaching #31.

<<Ratt - Round And Round - Nothing else was a hit for them? How about Lay
It Down, Way Cool Jr., Back For More ... I recall hearing them on the
radio a good bit.>>

They did get a decent amount of airplay, mainly on AOR(album oriented radio)
not Top 40, which is the oinly type of radio airplay that was a factor when
calculating the Hot 100 and Top 40 charts. However, "Lay it Down" did reach
#40, so they're really not one-hit wonders.
FWIW, "Way Cool Jr." peaked at #75 and "Back for More" didn't chart.

<<Franke Goes To Hollywood - Maybe off topic because Relax is my personal
favorite but lets not forget Two Tribes which got notable airplay.>>

"Two Tribes" and "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome" cracked the Top 50 at number
43 and 48, repectively.

<<Thomas Dolby - She Blinded me With Science (I can die when I hear this
song! I hate it) - I loved Europa & The Pirate Twins and I remember
hearing on the radio an awesome version of Radio Silence (not the crappy
version that he put on the cd). i've never been able to figure out why
the original album version disappeared.>>

Dolby had two Hot 100 hits with "Hyperactive" #62 and "Europa and the Pirate
Twins" #67.

<<Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It - Perhaps it was MTV's influence
but I remember I Wanna Rock just as well.>>

"I Wanna Rock" was only a #68 "hit", their cover of "Leader of the Pack' was
their second biggest hit, reaching #53.

<<Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy - Ya this is very well known but I liked
Don't Talk Just Kiss a million times better.>>

"Don't Talk Just Kiss" peaked at #76.

<<I could go on but i'm starting to bore myself.>>

You do make some valid points about the weakness and inconsistencies of
Vh-1's "one-hit wonder" list.
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-11 16:53:12 UTC
Post by Lostinda80's
Franke Goes To Hollywood - Maybe off topic because Relax is my personal
favorite but lets not forget Two Tribes which got notable airplay.
My fav is "Welcome To The Pleasure Dome". I think "Two Tribes" had 10 or
more 12" versions.

[...]
Post by Lostinda80's
Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy - Ya this is very well known but I liked
Don't Talk Just Kiss a million times better.
1991/1992 I think.
Andreas
Sid Fishes
2003-08-10 17:16:04 UTC
Post by lazarus
I have a theory I've been working on, wanted to see what you folks
thought. It seems to me that most "one hit wonders" had a follow-up
song that was actually, IMO, much better than the first.
snip.

bit of a contradiction that. how can a band/group be classified
as a one hit wonder when they have a follow up song? doesn't that
like..umm... give them two hits?
Neha333
2003-08-10 19:16:26 UTC
Great topic!

Fine Young Cannibals - Their hit was She Drives me Crazy but I thought Good
Thing was far superior...
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-10 22:44:47 UTC
Post by Neha333
Great topic!
Fine Young Cannibals - Their hit was She Drives me Crazy but I thought Good
Thing was far superior...
Hey Neha333!

Decided to take some time and delurk, I see! :)

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Neha333
2003-08-11 00:13:11 UTC
Subject: Re: One Hit Wonders and their (better) follow up single
Hey Neha333!
Decided to take some time and delurk, I see! :)
Myke
It's not easy being original here. Everytime I have something to say, you or
Naz beat me to it, lol.
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-11 13:31:03 UTC
Post by Neha333
It's not easy being original here. Everytime I have something to say, you or
Naz beat me to it, lol.
Hehe!! I have a top spot to maintain in the monthly statistics review,
ya know! :)

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Naz Reyes
2003-08-10 23:14:08 UTC
Post by Neha333
Great topic!
Fine Young Cannibals - Their hit was She Drives me Crazy but I thought Good
Thing was far superior...
A remake of "Suspicious Minds" is also not too shabby :)

-Naz
Naz Reyes
2003-08-11 21:20:00 UTC
These dance/disco lists are amazing, Naz! Where are you getting them from?
Is there a book?
Try this:

1. click here: http://www.allmusic.com

2. type in the artist you're searching for in the "search box".

3. click on the artist.

4. when you're in the artist's file, click on the area that says:

<click here for Billboard's chart positions and awards>

That should give you all the official Billboard positions of all the
charts that particular artist has ever entered.

Enjoy,
-Naz
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-11 23:55:53 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
1. click here: http://www.allmusic.com
2. type in the artist you're searching for in the "search box".
3. click on the artist.
<click here for Billboard's chart positions and awards>
That should give you all the official Billboard positions of all the
charts that particular artist has ever entered.
I have just recently discovered that website and it is freaking amazing!

For the first time in my life I'm reading *honest critical assessments*
of all the albums I've ever loved by people who are obviously familiar
with the music they're reviewing.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Naz Reyes
2003-08-12 20:27:26 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Naz Reyes
1. click here: http://www.allmusic.com
2. type in the artist you're searching for in the "search box".
3. click on the artist.
<click here for Billboard's chart positions and awards>
That should give you all the official Billboard positions of all the
charts that particular artist has ever entered.
I have just recently discovered that website and it is freaking amazing!
For the first time in my life I'm reading *honest critical assessments*
of all the albums I've ever loved by people who are obviously familiar
with the music they're reviewing.
Myke
I agree with ya, Myke. For once, it's really amazing that the reviewers in
allmusic.com are people who do *listen* to the albums and seem knowledgeable
about the different types of music, and not just a bunch of smart-ass f*cks
who, for example, don't know shit about dance music, and *reviewing* them!
Sheesh.

I also like the fact that the negative, smart-ass comments are kept to a
minimum and most reviewers concentrate on the *positive* aspects of each
album.

-Naz
Geir Hongro
2003-08-16 09:17:05 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
For the first time in my life I'm reading *honest critical assessments*
of all the albums I've ever loved by people who are obviously familiar
with the music they're reviewing.
All music guide is a great site. Certainly. Incredibly extensive, and with
reviews of just about every album you can imagine. And it seems all of them
are reviewed by reviewers who don't at least dislike the genre.

Btw. I did check out some reviews for Celine Dion and Backstreet Boys, and,
while very objective, you can read from the reviews that the reviewer isn't
quite a _fan_ of those. :-)

Geir Hongro
Geir Hongro
2003-08-10 21:30:46 UTC
Post by Sid Fishes
bit of a contradiction that. how can a band/group be classified
as a one hit wonder when they have a follow up song? doesn't that
like..umm... give them two hits?
Not if the followup flops. But if it flops enough, hardly anybody would have
heard it anyway.

Geir Hongro
Metlhd3138
2003-08-11 01:22:20 UTC
Bad English's only hit was "when i see you smile" but "Heaven is a four letter
word" was WAYY better (unless supergroups/side projects dont count in the one
hit wonder world). Also, Autograph's song "Thats the stuff" was superior to
"turn up the radio" but the album of the same title seemed to go straight to
the cut-out bins while the single got NO airplay.
NJROB65
2003-08-11 05:13:58 UTC
I have a theory I've been working on, wanted to see what you folks
thought. It seems to me that most "one hit wonders" had a follow-up
song that was actually, IMO, much better than the first.

<<The classic to me is Men Without Hats. "Safety Dance" is so annoying,
and yet they followed it up with the wonderful "Pop Goes the World," a
very nice pop song.>>

No offense, but "Pop Goes the World" was released in 1987, four years after
"The Safety Dance rather late to be considerd a "followup".

NJROB65
2003-08-11 05:17:38 UTC
<< Bad English's only hit was "when i see you smile" but "Heaven is a four
letter
word" was WAYY better (unless supergroups/side projects dont count in the one
hit wonder world).>>

Bad English had two other Top 40 hits besides "When I See you Smile"; they
were "Price of Love" #5 and "Possession" #21.
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-11 13:35:52 UTC
Post by Metlhd3138
Bad English's only hit was "when i see you smile"
Whoops.

1989-09-30 #1 When I See You Smile
1990-01-20 #5 Price Of Love
1990-07-14 #21 Possession

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
lazarus
2003-08-12 21:21:16 UTC
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:16:04 +0100, "Sid Fishes"
Post by Sid Fishes
Post by lazarus
I have a theory I've been working on, wanted to see what you folks
thought. It seems to me that most "one hit wonders" had a follow-up
song that was actually, IMO, much better than the first.
snip.
bit of a contradiction that. how can a band/group be classified
as a one hit wonder when they have a follow up song? doesn't that
like..umm... give them two hits?
I'm talking general cubby holing, such as VH1 does. Virtually every
band ever has released more than one song, but the classic "one hit
wonder" is defined, in the popular mindset, by one specific hit.

lazarus
2003-08-14 00:06:38 UTC
Post by lazarus
I'm talking general cubby holing, such as VH1 does. Virtually every
band ever has released more than one song, but the classic "one hit
wonder" is defined, in the popular mindset, by one specific hit.
What is great is that VH-1 Classic often plays the videos for the other
songs released by so-called "one hit" wonders.
I suppose another subgenre of this would be groups that have only one
of their songs played. For instance, virtually every time you hear
the B-52s on an "80s Weekend" or something like that, it's that damned
Love Shack song. Never do hear Private Idaho, or Quiche Lorraine, or
Rock Lobster....

Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-14 05:18:03 UTC
Post by lazarus
I suppose another subgenre of this would be groups that have only one
of their songs played. For instance, virtually every time you hear
the B-52s on an "80s Weekend" or something like that, it's that damned
Love Shack song. Never do hear Private Idaho, or Quiche Lorraine, or
Rock Lobster....
6- or 8-thousand years ago, they laid down the law... then did all 16
dances!

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Geir Hongro
2003-08-14 19:47:30 UTC
Post by lazarus
I suppose another subgenre of this would be groups that have only one
of their songs played. For instance, virtually every time you hear
the B-52s on an "80s Weekend" or something like that, it's that damned
Love Shack song.
Ironic that "Love Shack", although from an 80s album, didn't become a hit
until the 90s.

On the other hand, "Rock Lobster" is from the 70s.......

Geir Hongro
Jude Cormier
2003-08-14 20:36:48 UTC
Post by Geir Hongro
Post by lazarus
I suppose another subgenre of this would be groups that have only one
of their songs played. For instance, virtually every time you hear
the B-52s on an "80s Weekend" or something like that, it's that damned
Love Shack song.
Ironic that "Love Shack", although from an 80s album, didn't become a hit
until the 90s.
It hit here in the US in '89

but that's close enough, eh? :)
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 02:16:50 UTC
Post by Jude Cormier
Post by Geir Hongro
Ironic that "Love Shack", although from an 80s album, didn't become a hit
until the 90s.
It hit here in the US in '89
but that's close enough, eh? :)
Especially when, as everyone knows, the '90s began in 1986.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Jude Cormier
Wow! I graduated in the 90s?? :D
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-15 14:59:16 UTC
Post by Jude Cormier
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Especially when, as everyone knows, the '90s began in 1986.
Myke
Wow! I graduated in the 90s?? :D
You were ahead of your time! :D

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
lazarus
2003-08-15 02:15:36 UTC
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:47:30 +0200, "Geir Hongro"
Post by Geir Hongro
Post by lazarus
I suppose another subgenre of this would be groups that have only one
of their songs played. For instance, virtually every time you hear
the B-52s on an "80s Weekend" or something like that, it's that damned
Love Shack song.
Ironic that "Love Shack", although from an 80s album, didn't become a hit
until the 90s.
On the other hand, "Rock Lobster" is from the 70s.......
Ironically, it charted in 1980 here in the US. Go figure.....

Spitfire 1500
2003-08-16 03:30:56 UTC
What is great is that VH-1 Classic often plays the videos for the other
songs released by so-called "one hit" wonders.
And that's what got me hooked on it. They always play the "b-side"-esque
video to quasi-popular bands.
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-10 22:35:24 UTC
Vice versa here. I didn't like "The Sun Always Shines On TV" at all. And
"Take On Me" is hard to beat, as it has the IMO best video of the 80s,
probably best video ever made and ever will be done.
But you have to see the video for TSASOTV in order to know how the story
of the "Take On Me" video concludes! :)

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-11 16:48:27 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Vice versa here. I didn't like "The Sun Always Shines On TV" at all. And
"Take On Me" is hard to beat, as it has the IMO best video of the 80s,
probably best video ever made and ever will be done.
But you have to see the video for TSASOTV in order to know how the story
of the "Take On Me" video concludes! :)
I don't know the video. Was it first?

IIRC "Take On Me" was their first song. And on a birthday party I was
stunned as they played it. Wow, what a tune. Nice rhythm, drum sound,
clear synthy sound, upbeat. May be I had too much beer, but I felt very
good as they played it. :-)
Andreas
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-18 03:51:10 UTC
And I don't think there is any animation at the start of the video either,
just the same girl (who appeared to be Morten Harket's girlfriend at the
time). Their third single "Train Of Thought" contained another animated
video by Michael Patterson though.
You might also be surprised to see how much additional footage from the
film was also present in MTV's "World Premiere Video" version of Duran
Duran's "A View To A Kill". To this day - none of the officially
available versions of that video that I've seen contain the full video
as it was initially aired in mid-1985.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-18 07:50:42 UTC
If you're talking about the girl in the "Take On Me" video, I never knew
who she was but I've always thought she was one of the hottest looking
girls I *ever* saw on ("regular", ahem) TV in the 80s - kinda sorta up
there with the girl in the Pepsi ad with the fuzzy pink socks - only
"even better".
Bunty Bailey.
Wow! You know her name! :) I never knew her name before. That's kewl.
She also appeared in Billy Idol's "Got to Be a Lover" video.
Haven't seen it!
Also appeared in the B movies Spellcaster (1991), Dolls (1987), and
Glitch! (1988).
Haven't seen 'em! :)
http://www.crawfordscommercials.co.uk/profile_women.php?modelID=13&cat=browsewomen
Awwwwww... She's all middle-aged now. :(

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
lazarus
2003-08-18 18:10:28 UTC
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:50:42 -0500, Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
If you're talking about the girl in the "Take On Me" video, I never knew
who she was but I've always thought she was one of the hottest looking
girls I *ever* saw on ("regular", ahem) TV in the 80s - kinda sorta up
there with the girl in the Pepsi ad with the fuzzy pink socks - only
"even better".
Bunty Bailey.
Wow! You know her name! :) I never knew her name before. That's kewl.
She also appeared in Billy Idol's "Got to Be a Lover" video.
Haven't seen it!
Also appeared in the B movies Spellcaster (1991), Dolls (1987), and
Glitch! (1988).
Haven't seen 'em! :)
http://www.crawfordscommercials.co.uk/profile_women.php?modelID=13&cat=browsewomen
Awwwwww... She's all middle-aged now. :(
Myke
I have to admit, I didn't actually know this stuff. Google is simply
amazing, I just entered "Take on me" + video + girl and there she was.
:-D

Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-19 16:02:54 UTC
Post by lazarus
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:50:42 -0500, Lord Hasenpfeffer
I have to admit, I didn't actually know this stuff. Google is simply
amazing, I just entered "Take on me" + video + girl and there she was.
:-D
I search for a pic of the 1986 Bunty, but no luck. :-(
Andreas
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-18 17:12:29 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Bunty Bailey.
[...]
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
http://www.crawfordscommercials.co.uk/profile_women.php?modelID=13&cat=browsewomen
Awwwwww... She's all middle-aged now. :(
Of course she is. *LOL*

Still beautiful nonetheles.

About the video:
<http://www.altreel.com/music-videos/reviews/a/a-ha_take-on-me.shtml>
Andreas
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-18 17:09:17 UTC
just the same girl (who appeared to be Morten Harket's girlfriend at the
time).
If you're talking about the girl in the "Take On Me" video, I never knew
who she was but I've always thought she was one of the hottest looking
girls I *ever* saw on ("regular", ahem) TV in the 80s
*LOL*
- kinda sorta up
there with the girl in the Pepsi ad with the fuzzy pink socks - only
"even better".
Mmmmmm, 80s girls. :-)

Ses, liked her too. Along with (I knew her name, asked here before twice,
but will always forget :-( ) the girl from the "Drive" video by The Cars.
Andreas
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-19 03:15:09 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Mmmmmm, 80s girls. :-)
Yeah! 80s *ladies* didn't use stupid bullshit excuses like "you don't
need to do all that extra stuff because you're already naturally
pretty". It's not a question of need, it's a matter of *good* *taste*
and *attention* *to* *detail*. :)
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
the girl from the "Drive" video by The Cars.
Haven't seen that one either. :(

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Andreas Kohlbach
2003-08-19 16:01:33 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Mmmmmm, 80s girls. :-)
Yeah! 80s *ladies*
They are still /girls/ to me. :-)

[...]
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
the girl from the "Drive" video by The Cars.
Haven't seen that one either. :(
You won't be able to sleep anymore after you saw the video. ;-)
Andreas
Geir Hongro
2003-08-19 21:58:29 UTC
If you're talking about the girl in the "Take On Me" video, I never knew
who she was but I've always thought she was one of the hottest looking
girls I *ever* saw on ("regular", ahem) TV in the 80s - kinda sorta up
there with the girl in the Pepsi ad with the fuzzy pink socks - only
"even better".
I remember I found her hot too :-)
Their third single "Train Of Thought" contained another animated
video by Michael Patterson though.
Never saw it. Any good?
I was never too keen on it. Too similar to "Take On Me", without the changes
between animation and real life-film that was so fascinating about "Take On
Me". Their later, rarely shown, videos for "Cry Wolf" and "Manhattan
Skyline" were really great though.

Geir Hongro
Naz Reyes
2003-08-11 21:15:46 UTC
Post by lazarus
The classic to me is Men Without Hats. "Safety Dance" is so annoying,
"Safety Dance" is top-notch!
I have to agree with ya there, Myke :)

I like both the 12" version and the single version. The 12" version
sounds much slower and sleazier, and it also has that lady going,
"SSSS-AAAA-FFFF-EEEE-TTTT-YYYY, Safe-safe-safety, dance!!!!!". Love
that effect ;-)

Oh - and that Atari-like synth bleeps are great!

-Naz
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-11 23:17:20 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
"Safety Dance" is top-notch!
I have to agree with ya there, Myke :)
I like both the 12" version and the single version.
I've got both as part of a rather extensive MWH legit/boot CD collection
but have never liked the earlier version without all the kewl
octave-bouncing keyboards and the echoed-spelling of the title word,
etc.; probably because I heard the '83 version first and have always
been a sucker for a good set of sound effects. (As I type this, I'm
listening to The Art Of Noise / Youth's 1990 remix album, "The Ambient
Collection".) The only part I like about the earlier '81 version is the
fact that Ivan actually sings the lyrics whereas in the '83 "extended
dance" version, he only raps them.
Post by Naz Reyes
Oh - and that Atari-like synth bleeps are great!
Did you ever notice in "Pop Goes The World" how after Ivan sings: "Every
time I wonder where the world went wrong / end up lying on my face going
ringy-dingy-ding-dong / And every time I wonder if the world is right /
end up in some disco dancing all night" - the keyboards run through a
*very* fast version of "Safety Dance"s bleepy melody?

I always found that nod to their earlier hit particularly nifty.

Myke
--
-================================-
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
-================================-
Naz Reyes
2003-08-12 20:20:46 UTC
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Did you ever notice in "Pop Goes The World" how after Ivan sings: "Every
time I wonder where the world went wrong / end up lying on my face going
ringy-dingy-ding-dong / And every time I wonder if the world is right /
end up in some disco dancing all night" - the keyboards run through a
*very* fast version of "Safety Dance"s bleepy melody?
I always found that nod to their earlier hit particularly nifty.
Myke
I re-listened to it last night and I *almost* missed it. It was, like, a
1.5 second clip of it ;-)

-Naz
Lord Hasenpfeffer
2003-08-12 23:06:40 UTC
Post by Naz Reyes
Post by Lord Hasenpfeffer
Did you ever notice in "Pop Goes The World" how after Ivan sings: "Every
time I wonder where the world went wrong / end up lying on my face going
ringy-dingy-ding-dong / And every time I wonder if the world is right /
end up in some disco dancing all night" - the keyboards run through a
*very* fast version of "Safety Dance"s bleepy melody?
I always found that nod to their earlier hit particularly nifty.
Myke
I re-listened to it last night
The song or the album?
Post by Naz Reyes
and I *almost* missed it. It was, like, a 1.5 second clip of it ;-)
Yes, it's very short - most likely deliberately to mask what it actually
is to all but the sharpest ears. :)

Myke
--
Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!
MCT
2003-08-19 04:23:05 UTC
<<Here's the Fine Young Cannibals roster of hits: [list snipped]>>

I think it's safe to say that FYC were not one-hit wonders. If you want
to say one-album wonders, you may have an argument, but even that's
debatable. There were just too many hits off of that one big album,
including two #1 singles, for them to really be one-hit wonders.